Scan Your Engines! The Best OBD2 Scanners for Android
Onboard Diagnostic scanners have long benefited from the advent of neBest OBD2 Scanner for Androidw technology, especially when it comes to mobile applications and device connectivity. The best OBD2 Scanners for Android also share the same benefits as they continue to improve over the years with software upgrades happening left and right, as well as new mobile applications coming out on a regular basis.
Onboard Diagnostics: Some Facts and Benefits
Ever since the 1980s, the Onboard Diagnostic Scanners or OBD scanners have played a vital part in vehicle maintenance, especially with its capability to monitor and read the different signals and codes that a car’s electronic components send out. This eventually evolved into the next generation of scanners called OBD2 scanners.
Benefits of OBD2 Scanner for Android
OBD2 Technology for Android has provided many benefits to drivers and car owners alike. Some of these benefits include:
- OBD Scanners for Android provide a detailed view of how the car is performing, especially the electronic system.
- They provide a quick view of what is going on the internal processes of the car.
- It prepares the car for emission testing and other mandatory car inspection.
- Saves money in the long run since OBDs can predict problems before they happen.
- OBD scanners also give car owners some peace of mind since they can rest knowing that their car is still in good working condition.
Tips for choosing the Best OBD2 Scanner for Android
Here are some things to look for the best OBD2 Scanner for Android:
The best OBD2 Scanner for android should have the correct software that matches the one that is running through your car’s computer system, as well as your android device.
More than a few OBD2 Scanners now have the ability to connect to any device; some would even have their own apps ready to download and use.
These are mostly based on the device where the oBD2 Scanner is installed, a majority of mobile devices nowadays can sync with smaller devices, like watches, etc., and the best OBD2 Scanner for Android should be able to sync with that device as well.
Top Picks for the Best OBD2 Scanner for Android
1 2018 OptiCover OBD2 Scanner with WiFi and Bluetooth Adapter
- It comes with a large database of code definitions.
- The 2018 OptiCover OBD2 Scanner can connect to any mobile device, and it is compatible with either Android or iOS.
- The OptiCover can support both free and paid mobile apps.
- This OBD2 scanner can be paired with any vehicle within the United States of America.
- It comes with an increased WiFi signal range that provides a more stable connection between the car and the mobile device.
- The OptiCover OBD comes in a durable case that can withstand the harsh bumps and crashes of road driving.
- The software is easy to install and the interface is user-friendly.
- The error output file can be read directly through a computer or through a mobile phone.
- The unit may encounter some difficulties connecting with specific models, but it also comes with an easy to follow user guide that can help with this problem.
- Free mobile apps that support the OptiCover OBD have very basic features, but paid apps come fully packed.
- If plugged continuously, the device can heat up quickly.
2 BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices
- The BAFX uses a third party mobile application to read the data it pulls from the sensors.
- It comes with clear diagnostic troubleshooting codes and instructions on how to resolve them.
- The BAFX also comes with two-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- BAFX offers good after-sales service.
- The BAFX OBD2 Scanner can be quickly installed and reads live data.
- It also provides a strong connection between the car and the mobile apps.
- The BAFX OBD2 Scanner is limited to Android devices and is not compatible with iOS devices. Users would also have to connect using a specific third party mobile app for Android
- The OBD scanner does not read anything else other than the standard OBD codes.
- Some read-outs from specific makes and models are slow, and the data is often unreliable with conflicting figures.
- The BAFX OBD2 Scanner may be prone to damage if not used properly. The components are also sensitive to heat and frequent jostling.
3 KOBRA OBD2 Scanner Bluetooth Scan Tool Adapter and Car Code Reader for Android & Windows Devices
- The KOBRA OBD2 Scanner comes with the cutting-edge ELM327 Bluetooth technology that provides stronger wireless connections.
- This OBD Scanner is compatible with a wide array of car makes and models.
- The KOBRA software checks both the generic and manufacturer codes when troubleshooting a car’s electronic signals.
- Having the ELM327 Bluetooth technology means that data streaming between the cars and the Android device is 100% wireless.
- The KOBRA OBD2 Scanner comes with a free mobile app download.
- The OBD2 provides real-time monitoring and an accurate data display.
- The Bluetooth technology connects quickly, and the user interface is easy to use.
- The unit itself is lightweight and can be easily stored inside the glove compartment.
- The new Bluetooth technology may find it hard to connect with older car models, especially if they have different software versions.
- The on-screen display provides limited information about the error codes and what might have caused them.
- The KOBRA OBD2 Scanner has been known to show inconsistent performance across the board.
The Best OBD2 Scanner for Android
Looking at the different factors and comparing the pros, the cons and the features of each model, the OptiCover comes out as the best OBD2 Scanner for Android. Specifically, the upgraded version of the OptiCover OBD2 Scanner that shows how well the manufacturer listens to customer’s feedback with an improved signal range, better mobile app compatibility, and better components. The Opticover also showed that any foreseeable issue could be prevented with proper care and maintenance, both of the car and the OBD scanner.